Pages

Friday, January 5, 2018

Summer Learning Journey : Week 3

DAY 1 : ACTIVITY 1 : MEAT AND THREE VEG

Whainga Ako : Write down, if you think meat and three veg is a good rule. Would you enjoy eating a meal in the 1950s.

YES.
I like vegetables, I usually eat my friend's veggies, if they don't want any. (that happened in Rotorua), I'm used to eating loads of vegetables, but the meat, I'm not used to eating. I'd usually just have half the meat.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

DAY 1 : ACTIVITY 2 : WHAT'S IN A NAME?

Whainga Ako : Read, through the list of names provided to you. Write if these are uncommon names or popular ones. Write down three names of boys and girls at your school.

Since, I'm at Kaikohe West School, english names and maori names are at an even 50% for both of them. The names on the list, are definitely super uncommon, maybe 1/400? I'm not sure. I am not saying impossible, because John was at the school.

THREE NAMES FOR BOYS AND GIRLS

? = Unsure / ???? = Possibility/Could be

1. Edward                                        1. Kahurangi(????)
2. Tamati                                         2. Nickola (They are teachers, does it count?)
3. Barry(?)                                        3.
                                                       The girls all have different names, so it's hard to call popular.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

DAY 1 : BONUS ACTIVITY : SNAIL MAIL

Whainga Ako : You are living in New Zealand, make a post card from Google Drawings.

Kia ora, Kia ora!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

DAY 2 : ACTIVITY 1 : THE DAWN OF TELEVISION

Whainga Ako : What is your favourite television show? What is it about? Who are the main characters? What channel is it on?

The marvellous misadventures of Flapjack. This is my big brother's second favourite show, and that's how I discovered it. It can be disturbing on some episodes (like scary). However, it doesn't stop me from putting it on my list. The main characters, are Flapjack, Captain Knuckles and Bubby the whale. They're objective is to get to the illusive candy island, but never succeed. This show, would be comedy and adventure, (I think). Since this show is like 10 years old. I watch this on YouTube. (I have a smart T.V.)

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

DAY 2 : ACTIVITY 2 : ROCK 'N' ROLL

Whainga Ako : Read about the tour of The Beatles, after post three interesting facts about it.

1. The crowd that literally rampaged towards the band, was mostly girls.

2. The police underestimated the situation, and had to put the people behind wired fences.

3. There was around 7,000 people there.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

DAY 2 : BONUS ACTIVITY : THE THREE R'S -  RUGBY, RACING AND RUNNING

Whainga Ako : Write a poster (on Canva) about Peter Snell, add a picture about him and also include his interests and sport accomplishments.


_____________________________________________________________________________________________DAY 3 - ACTIVITY 1 : READY TO ROLL

Whainga Ako : Rate these three videos provided to you. From your least favourite (3) to your favourite (1).

3. New Zealand Underdogs
I didn't like this song, because of the combination of whatever the instrument was, and the singing. I feel like there should be a female instead of a male. I think it would fit the tune. I don't hate it, I like it. I would rate it 7/10.

2. Golden Harvest - I need your love
The first song I heard. I liked it, I almost thought it would be on my top spot. It made me move my feet, and I loved the tune. However, I thought the lyrics, were a bit weird. 'I need your loving before I go small'. I would rate it 8.7/10

1. Ray Colobus and the invaders - She's a mod
This is a fast type of music. It's just simply a masterpiece. I think this song might be my new favourite! They were also doing weird, but funny things during the song. The lyrics were overused, but that was a good thing. I would rate it a 11/10!
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

DAY 3 - ACTIVITY 2 : BELL BOTTOM PANTS

Whainga Ako : Write down two things, about what you like about 1970s fashion, and two things you don't like about modern fashion.

1. I like how in 1970s no one is wearing sunglasses or shades.

2. I also like the pants the men are wearing. It looks like you don't need to add anymore or take away. It also looks easier to take off, then any other pants.

1. I hate ragged jeans. Why would you have holes in your clothes?! Is there a benefit of wearing ragged jeans instead of real ones?

2. I don't like shorts, I mean the super short ones. They leave so much skin behind unprotected. It's the worst feeling, if you can only find your super short-shorts on a cold day.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

DAY 3 - BONUS ACTIVITY : A BILINGUAL SCHOOLING SYSTEM

Whainga Ako : Write down a letter to the principal about changing something, that you particularly want.

Dear Ma Tehira

I would like to have an extra five minutes at lunch-time for Blue Card/Caught Being Good winners, because of their amazing effort they have put in, to achieve this award. They'd also keep trying to win blue cards as well. I believe then they're would be less naughty tamariki. The teachers would also be happy as well. They would be assured of a good day.

My teacher and Whaea Sabrina sometimes, tell us it isn't worth placing rewards for tamariki, because of their horrid attitude. However, when their is a class working for blue cards everyday, they would be very happy.

From Edward.

5/12/2018
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

DAY 4 - ACTIVITY 1 : HAIRY MACLARY

Whainga Ako : Use the sentence starter provided to you. Finish the story. Apparently it says "To earn full points" Even though this is an actual activity.

Out the gate and off for a walk went hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy.

He walked across the road and found a croaking toad.

The toad jumped onto Hairy Maclary, this was going to be a heavy load!

Hairy Maclary headed to the pond, so he could drop off the toad with a plop!

The toad jumped off Maclary into the pond, with amazing ability! Then he swam down with speedy agility.

Hairy Maclary looked where he was, he saw garden gnomes, this isn't his home!

He started panting and panicking, and pacing too. Then, a person came passing by.

The man looked at the tag and put him in his bag and let the dog back to his home.

Hairy Maclary was as happy as can be! He could just about say 'Yippee!!'

He looked outside the window, and saw the toad out on the road. The toad winked at him, and hopped on by.

Harry Mclary, knew he was tricked! He would see the toad another day, Hary Mclary jumped onto the owner's lap, and he took a very long nap...

T H E  E N D.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

DAY 4 - ACTIVITY 2 : THE BIG 'OE'

Whainga Ako : Where would you like to go to for your OE? Write three reasons and place pictures of what you'd like to do and see in there.

AUSTRALIA

1. I want to see the unique animals that can be found only here, I don't really know much of them, but I definitely want to find out and I want to go to the star attractions of this place.

2. I also want to go here because, most of my friends have been here and they all seemed to have enjoyed their trip or holiday to here.

3. This is also the first time for me going to another country. I want it to be sort-of related to New Zealand.








_____________________________________________________________________________________________

DAY 4 - BONUS ACTIVITY : THE 4 O'CLOCK NEWS

Whainga Ako : Who would you choose to interview and why? What would you like to find out.

Andrew Little

Andrew Little, since we did the work around the politics, I think we did barely any research on him, since we changed the leader of the labour party, from Andrew to Jacinda.

1. What will he do now?

2. Why he resigned from politics.

3. How did he get into politics.

4. How does he feel, about letting all of his supporters down (Who specifically voted for him, because of his politics?

5. Does he wish for his child to become a politician like him?

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

DAY 5 - ACTIVITY 1 : HIKING TONGARIRO

Whainga Ako : Write down 5 items you would pack if you were going to hike down Tongariro Crossing, also what else should you do before heading off?

1. A lunchbox
2. A water bottle filled to the brim.
3. Suitable footwear
4. A map
5. A compass (maybe)
6. A good spirit to go hiking.

I would eat a big breakfast/lunch. I'd also tell my family that I'm going to go head off. Into 19.4 Kilometres of hiking with rugged landscape. I'd also pay for all the stuff before I go.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________

DAY 5 - ACTIVITY 2 : LEADING NEW ZEALAND


_____________________________________________________________________________________________

DAY 5 - BONUS ACTIVITY : YOU HAVE TO PAY TO PLAY

Whainga Ako : Do you think you should have to pay to go to university, why or why not?

I don't think you should pay for university, instead it should be a test. If it was money, almost anybody could get in! However, if it was a test, most times people would fail, either because they didn't pay close attention to their high school work. It would truly be a test of intelligence. You would feel proud of yourself after, and feel like you've accomplished something big. (It is!)
_____________________________________________________________________________________________



3 comments:

  1. Kia Ora Edward,

    My name is Jordan and I'm the Kootuitui (Papakura, South Auckland) cluster manager. I also have the absolute pleasure of being able to blog with you this summer!
    Wow, I'm lost for words right now Edward, I truly am. This is your third week’s worth of work? You've really done a marvelous job.
    Originally I was a bit overwhelmed by all of the activities compiled in to one post, but I'm beginning to warm to it.

    I like all of your posts; you sound like a very intelligent young man. I'm interested to find out why you think University Entrance should be a test of intelligence? What if someone wanted to study a skill set from University, but wasn't particularly book smart. Do you think that it would be fair to deny them money because they didn't do so well in Math or in Science?
    I think it's really wonderful that our youth have this opportunity to study for free. I'm in my last year of studying and I'm almost 28 years old. After High School, I didn't go straight in to University. I chose to explore the world and along the way discovered more about myself; so I felt better equipped to enroll at a University years down the track because I knew exactly what I wanted to do.
    I personally think that the last year of the Undergraduate Degree should be free, because that's how you would really know someone wanted to complete their degree, and they didn't just do it because it was something they felt they had to do.

    I like how you've chosen Australia as your "Big O.E"; starting somewhere familiar is always a good way to go. I personally moved from my hometown of Gisborne to Wellington, and then to Auckland. From there I moved to Adelaide in Australia, and have been to England, Scotland, France, Italy and Japan.
    The animals in Australia are pretty incredible, and trust me when I say that there aren't nearly as many snakes as you may have been previously told.

    Well, Edward, I've really enjoyed reading all of your blog posts. I'll be looking out for Week 4!

    Cheers,

    Jordan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahi ahi Edward, wow I am impressed with the amount of work you have produced through this summer camp. I knew you would enjoy this. I love your honest and thoughtful responses, and even where you have come across some misunderstandings. Sometimes it is also a good idea to add the resource that you are referring to to your post so that we can make a comparison ourselves, especially the artwork or vids etc... Try and make more regualar blogs so we can make a comment under a particular post and not try and make reference to a particular posted on Day 1 etc.. Hope you are having a grand holiday and have made your way down to the college for a swim during the hot days, it costs $1 I think per person. Nga mihi Whaea Nicki.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kia Ora Edward,

    This is the first post I have been lucky enough to comment of yours so far, however please know I have been reading the others and I am simply astounded and overwhelmed with the effort you have put into all of your activities.

    Your response to Day 4’s bonus activity is really impressive, you have really thought outside of the box to choose Andrew Little and I believe you chose some great questions for him. My favourite was “Does he wish for his child to become a politician like him?” I think that would be a very interesting question to ask and I’d be eager to hear his response.

    Day 5 Activity 1: I think that your list of items that you’d take on a hike are very practical, especially the drink bottle. It is so important to stay hydrated while exercising and especially if you did the Tongariro Crossing in summer, as it could be very easy to become dehydrated. The good spirit to go hiking is also essential - nothing worse than trying to exercise in a bad mood.

    I can tell you have put a lot of thought into each individual activity and I’d like to express how proud I am of the work that you have done so far. I have shared your blogposts with others in my programme and they are all just as impressed.

    Ka pai Edward, ka pai!

    Nga mihi
    Georgia

    ReplyDelete